Fort Kochi - A leisurely walk through the city is the best way to discover historic for Kochi. An obscure fishing village that became the first european township In india, kochi has an eventful and colourful history. The town was shaped by the cultural influences, the dutch and later the british. The result of these cultural influences are seen in the many examples of indo european architecture that still exist here.
Chinese Fishing Nets - These huge cantilevered fishing nets are the legacy of one of the first visitors to the malabar coast. Erected here between 1350 and 1450 ad by Traders from the court of kublai khan, these nets are st up on teak wood and bamboo poles. The best place to watch the nets being lowered into the sea and catch being brought in is the vasco da gama square, a narrow promenade that runs along the beach.
St. Francis Church - Built in 1503 by Portuguese Franciscan Friars, this is India's oldest European Church. This was initially built of timber and later reconstructed in stone masonry. It was restored in 1779 by the protestant dutch, converted To an anglican church by the british in 1795 and is at present governed by the church of south india. Vasco da gama was buried here in 1524 before his Remains were moved to Lisbon, portugal.
Mattancherry Palace (Dutch Palace) - Built by the Portuguese in 1557 and presented to Raja Veera Kerala Varma of Kochi, the palace was renovated in 1663 by the Dutch. On display here are beauriful murals depicting scenes from the epics, Ramayana and Mahabharata, and some of the Puranic Hindu legends. The palace also houses dutch maps of old kochi, royal palanquins, coronation robes of former maharajas of kochi.
SynagogueSynagogue - Constructed in 1568, this is the oldest synagogue in the commonwealth. Destroyed in a shelling during the portuguese raid in 1662, it was rebuilt two years later by the dutch.
Bolghatty Island - This island is famous for its palace of the same name. The bolghatty palace Was built in 1744 the dutch and later taken over by the british. Today it is a hotel run by the kerala tourism , with a small golf course and special honeymoon cottages.
Willingdon Island - Named after Lord Willingdon, a former british viceroy of india, this man-made island is surrounded by beautiful backwaters. The island is the site of the city's best hotels and trading centres, the port trust and the headquarters of the southern naval command.